Sunday, October 10, 2004

Tournament Held - Results Posted

It didn't seem as chilly at the Royal Oak piste as last weekend, but perhaps that was because I wore my new baggy boule outfit instead of my usual baggy shorts. I selected a really ugly bright red/blue (ala' Harlem Globetrotters) ensemble, but then thought how distracting it'd be for the other members and 86'ed it for my fleecy leisure-wear 2-piece. Enough of that...

Ten of us were present, and we broke up into four teams, with each playing the others to the result:

1st: Dan, Cyrille, and Jimmy (3 straight wins)
2nd: Michel and Jeff (2 wins + 5 points)
3rd: Joe and Jeannette (1 win + 11 points)
4th: Camille, Thierry, and Don (24 points)

I was fortunate in being teamed with Michel, who "saved the game" numerous times with his excellent pointing and shooting. They are learning experiences quite valuable to my future playing strategy.

Thierry was playing quite a good series of games with his new INOX boules. I'm glad he's able to play and get familiar with the heft of his new 720gram friends. I watched him point and save quite a few ends today.

Of course the toughest match (and ultimately our downfall) came when Michel and I played the Dan, Cyrille & Jimmy trio. They were leading 12 to 5 and it was constantly Michel taking back the point (to keep them from 13) when by chance, the tide turned, and we had the chance at making 4 points from a displaced "enemy" boule. But alas, Jimmy kept a cool head and pointed to 13 to take the match.

Adieu for now, and see you all next week.

No comments: