Friday, September 12, 2008

Hooked on Pointing

I won't profess to be a top ranked petanque player, but I have been playing boule for a number of years, working on my pointing and shooting throws. One technique which seems to work well for me is the back/side-spin for pointing. Think of it as "putting a little English on your boule.

Now keep in mind I'm left-handed, so my hook will be to the right. Do I really need to spell it out that right hander's hooks will go left? Anyhow, the hook-point is a useful method for bringing your boule around a pesky obstacle (like an opposing team's boule 6 inches in front of the cochonnet).

To effectuate this throw, you'll be sweeping your palm sideways (in the illustration - towards the right) while at the same time applying backspin. The released boule will (depending on the momentum and distance of the target) offer a pleasant little hook at the end of its travel.

Give it a try and see how it may improve your game.




No comments: