Sunday, June 21, 2009

We screwed up.

Dear Hal, Brigitte, Paul, Jony,

I feel terrible. What a disappointing weekend we caused you. Our most sincerest apology for making the decision of canceling the tournament Friday evening, rather than waiting until Saturday morning.

On Friday, as you know, we had a heavy rainfall all day long into the late evening. Also on Friday, members of our club were monitoring the field to make sure that it was in a playable condition. Friday evening, based on the fact that the field was literally underwater and completely saturated from foul line to foul line, we made the decision to reschedule the event.

Our mistake was that we should have waited and made that decision on Saturday morning. We did not factor into our decision of the ability of the field to absorb and drain the standing water. We were shocked at how well the field recovered from the downpour.

Our park district permit states that participants are not allowed to play on a soggy surface for fear of damage to the field. That also factored into our decision. From the looks of your photos, that was not a concern.

Note that the field we were scheduled to play on was field number 1. Last year we played on a different field, number 7. Number 1 was the field we were monitoring.

Again, we offer our most sincere apology to all of you. We consider you our friends brought together by our common love of petanque. We hope we have not jeopardized that friendship.

We will try to make it up to you in the future.

Dan Danielson
Chicago Petanque Club

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I calmed down:))
The next time, we will give you our cell phone number, that way, there will be no problem. And all the participants to a tournament should do the same.
petanquely yours;-)
Brigitte D'Arpini