Thursday, August 07, 2008

We've Got the Toughest Petanque Club in the Country


[Detroit's Mayor] Kilpatrick will spend night in jail - [Judge] Giles unmoved by mayor's apology

By M.L. ELRICK and JOE SWICKARD • Free Press Staff Writers • August 7, 2008

Judge Ronald Giles sent Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to jail moments after the mayor pleaded for forgiveness and admitted he made an unauthorized trip to Windsor on city business.

A caravan of vehicles brought Kilpatrick to the Wayne County jail at 12:55 p.m. today.
"The first day you were before me, I thought I made it clear to you that this court comes first in everything," Giles said. "I do understand that you're under...pressure...but I have to look at how the system should be run and perceived by the public."

"At the beginning of this case you were given every privilege that could be given to you with regard to travel," Giles said, adding that he later imposed restrictions after learning Kilpatrick had been abusing his privileges.

"At that time I made it perfectly clear ... don't come back ... ," he said.

Giles revoked Kilpatrick's $75,000 10% bond and ordered him jailed.

No comments: